

Last night I drove the kids out to the field to check on the horses. One of the mares had started "waxing" (dripping milk) that morning and we knew that her foal was on it's way. She had hidden way back into the far bush. When we finally found her there was no baby yet. By bedtime we could see her out the back window pacing the fence-line. Everyone was excited but especially Robin. This was "her" horse in labour. This morning everyone was up early. Curt was coming in from chores just as I was doling out breakfast. He announced "
Black Gold Dust Miner just had her foal!" Robin, who was holding Wesley, went into a panting frantic display of emotion. She thrust Wesley towards me hooting "I WANT TO SEE MY BABY...I WANT TO SEE MY BABY!!!" It struck me so funny. I grabbed Wes from her and hauled Sadie out of her highchair. Leaving breakfast half conquered, we headed out to see the babe, a filly. The pair were hiding at the southern most corner of the field in the bushes. Mama was being extremely protective so we took a peek and then left them for the day. She'll want to show off soon enough. In the meantime, Robin is trying to pick a name: "What should I call her Mom? Blackie? (the horse is honey colored), Goldie, Dustie, or Minerie?" :)
4 comments:
start dust!
oops I mean Star dust :)
haa! i didn't even notice your sp. until you corrected it. She still hasn't decided on a name as of tonight... i guess she will watch her for awhile and see what kind of filly she is first. :)-j
Congratulations to Robin! :o)
Post a Comment