Sunday, May 10, 2009
Home Grown Produce!
Today after church we visited the local greenhouse, picked up seeds and plunged them, scattered them and placed them by 3's into our new garden plot. I mapped it out and Curt staked everything we've put in so far. We still have some pumpkin, sunflowers, squash, beans, peas, sweet peas and the tomatos to get in but we need to fix supports for some of those things so they will go in early this next week....Well, the tomatoes will have to wait maybe a little longer if i want them to actually live. When I'm fairly sure this Alberta weather won't get the best of them I'll cage them in too. So excited to see how this soil works for us. This is our first garden on this land. Curt is crazy about corn and potatos so he did row after row of that. I am planning on canning again this year so have planned out lots of tomatos, cucumbers, dill, and carrots. I crave beets all the time so there's tonnes of that too. We usually pick lots of what we *know* works and that we know we like and then i splurge the extra 2$ on a "lottery" type item. This year it's multi-colored peppers. I'm pretty sure they will not have time to mature... but the fun is in trying sometimes. I'm planning on tumbler tomatos on the south deck so i think I'll plunk my peppers out there too and see what happens. It feels like so long since we have done this and we're both so excited about it this year. We're planning that the kids will be helping out and I'm sure they'll learn a lot that way. Maybe Sadie will eat more if she is part of the process of growing the food too. Still trying to chub that girl up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Where's the garden? Did you make all your landscaping plans? Will I recognize the place when I finally get there??
We have a nice big garden in our backyard too and I usually like gardening - not too excited about it this year tho. Wish I was.
Have fun - your kids are going to love it!
I love Ellie's haircut too! So cute!
Post a Comment