Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Oops and Yay!


Today Robin kept playing around in the music room with her fiddle and the piano saying something about wanting to write a song... she said it too many times. I kept mindlessly saying "okay, go ahead." ignoring the fact that she probably wanted help writing out what she liked the sound of so that she could remember it the next day. She finally left the music room with a big sigh after playing something that was to her, unsatisfactory. Later on tonight, i went into the music room to play and i found this propped up against the accordion I've been using as a music stand. It broke my heart. I had been too busy to help her with something she loves. She had tried to write out the notes in tab and letter that she was stringing together and it had been too hard. She has been asking for months to write another song. Last year she wrote a song called "Jumping Horses". It had one part A, no part B and 4 endings but it was all hers and cute. I got Darren and Carrie to learn it and my cousin to write it out for us neatly on manuscript so that she had something nicer than my rough tab markings. She was so pleased.
In amongst the busy schedule of learning new songs and a new style, I let her old song fade into the past. I think I'd better pull it out tonight though for practice tomorrow morning as a reminder to keep on trying even when you "get it wrong" or it seems too hard, or no one will join you in the creative process. Feeling a little like I failed in this little moment today.

On a lighter note, Wes rolled over for Curt for the first time. My camera was on some weird setting (thank you Sadie) so it looks blurry, but also like Wes is rolling at light-speed. :) Such a honey. Success for Wes!



2 comments:

mamazee said...

Hooray for baby Wessaly! Uly prays for his babies all the time - i love how he clumsily forms Wes' name...
and baby mimi walked today! Stood wobbily up on her hind legs and took three steps to me - and then the children let out their breath and all clapped and hooted and hollered, to her great big grinny delight... She knows she's awesome..
i love how proud little babies are, and how such small things can be so exciting!

mamazee said...

Sweet lil Robbie..
I've been writing out music for my little brood lately, too...
but it's hard to find the time to sit and wait for them to tRY to play and then figure out what they really meant :) and write it down! Hooray for you for being a great mom!