Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Sadie Update
The last post began one of our worst nights with Sadie. She needed to be changed almost every hour and cried all night for more water. Curt and I tag teamed it and I got maybe a total of 2 hours sleep. Then either my alarm never went off... or i slept through it. Either way, i was woken up by Curt and Sadie at 7:30 Sunday morning. I was supposed to be singing on worship team at the church at 7:45! Good one! I threw some clothes on, combed my hair frustrated that i had braided it the night before so it was a mess. Neglected brushing my teeth (not nice), slapped a fresh diaper on Wes and the two of us drove to church. Our music pastor asked how I was and I think it was then that the magnitude of the night before finally hit me. :( *tears* They prayed for us as a family and I went through the day feeling like i really needed a shower and a good sleep. I picked Sadie up from Sunday School and she announce happily that "The Sunday school teacher gave me as much water as I wanted!!" I didn't think of it again till later. We went to Curt's sisters' place for a birthday party where she had to be bribed to eat and begged for water. Finally she ate a bit of meat so i gave her a plastic cup of water. She downed it in one gulp and then grabbed her tummy and howled. "My tummy hurts!...I gotta go pee!" I was so tired so took the kids home. Sadie was cold and her lips were just blue so i decided to take her for a bath. When i undressed her, her tummy was like a malnourished African baby that you would see in the World Vision ads. I asked her to suck in her tummy and she said she couldn't. I poked it and it was rock solid from her legs to the top of her chest! I panicked. Long story short, we were going to take her in to emerg, changed our minds after she ate something substantial and realized that the bloat was probably from the Sunday school giving her "...as much water as she wanted." She had also left church soaked all up the front of her jacket from guzzling at the fountains back and forth as well. Today, we made it to the same pediatrician we went to last time. I brought in 2 full bags of wet diapers representing the previous 2 nights of diaper peeing minus all the times she actually made it to the washroom. He sent her for a head x-ray and then told us to go straight to the Stollery Children's Hospital. Curt dropped me off there with Wesley and Sadie and i spent the next 4 hours alone with them going back and forth to the washrooms with Sadie. Holding Wes as I lifted her with the other hand on and off, then hands washed, then back to our seats. The first time we went, i didn't save our seats and 2, 300 lb native men with their young nephew took one of our seats so I sat there with a 3 year old and a 4 month old both snuggling on my lap for the rest of the time. The "seat takers" talked loudly about women and "security" costumes they were planning on buying. (that's all I'm going to say here but it was a little intimidating and inappropriate) Anyways, we got in after that so i called Curt and he came back in to be with us for the appointment. Sadie screamed like crazy again for the blood taking but enjoyed thoroughly the peeing in the cup part. Not sure why but that brings a smile to her face every time. They told us at first that we were going to be admitted to do the test for "diabetes insipidus" and then another lady came in and told us that instead, we could go home and get a good nights' sleep and they would get nephrology (kidney specialists) to call us either tomorrow and no later than Thursday for further testing. Her kidneys are not concentrating the urine... not conserving anything. Water in-Water out. Mom is flying in to help out. I guess tomorrow I will get prepared for a possible overnight stay as i was imagining sleeping in my contacts. That and Sadie's diaper had not stayed in place. When they took her blood, she had to go pee and wet everything and we didn't have a change of clothes. I guess that is another thing I'll need to carry with me in case. SO thankful for family. Curt's sister Jody orchestrated 3 shifts of babysitters for us tonight just in case we were not coming home! WOW! Praying for an answer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
My first thought reading your post was, I wonder if this poor girlie has juvenile diabetes??? This is what I have...regardless of what is wrong with her right now, I will be praying for God's healing hand to touch her body.
It's soooo not cool having sick kids and not knowing what's wrong!
We have a friend who is a doctor at the PICU at the Stollery - tall, slender guy named Dr. Jon Duff. If you should run into him (hopefully it doesn't get that serious, but I think he kind of goes to some of the other areas other than the PICU sometimes), you can totally trust him. He's a great guy, great heart, excellent doctor, and one of our best friends. I hope I never have to take my kids to see him; it would mean that something more serious is wrong.
I was praying earlier tonight and you and Sadie kept coming to my mind... now I know why. Thank you so much for the update!
*hugs*
Melissa
Oh wow. Praying for you, Sadie and healing....
I read your post with a lump in my throat Jess. Jep and I will be praying for your family.
Many prayers, much love. So sorry your little Sadie is going through this. Praying for an answer and for healing:)
Thank you JOdy!
I wish i lived closer and could help in more practical ways, too - but we are praying for little Sadie and i'm so glad Mom can be there right now.
FEeling very useless right now. but i'm praying
Post a Comment