Monday, March 16, 2009

The work of His hand...
























This blog began with the entry "waiting..." accompanied by the first pictures of my son...in utero. Every now and then, when I take a new picture of Wesley, I go back to this first one and compare it to him "then". This picture *is* Psalm 139 to me... God saw Wes while he was being formed in the "secret place"...being "knit together in his mothers' womb"... I love that Psalm. It is a reminder that God was there in our own personal beginning. He knew us during those long, warm, dark months in the womb, and He *continues* to know us and form us. Daily, it's as if his hand keeps urging us on... "There's more... Keep looking...Don't give up...Not too much longer and you'll see what all of this is for...Trust me." If all there is to "life" is birth and physical maturity, what more could we need? Maybe happiness, a long life and eventually a peaceful death? But then there is the "small" problem of this strange longing for God...for "something more". If Wes could have had a philosophical mind in the womb, would he wonder what his legs were for? There is no running in that tiny place. Would he wonder why he had a mouth? He was being fed through his umbilical cord. What good is a mouth? Would he wonder why he had eyes? There was nothing to see in the darkness. Would he maybe wonder if the womb wasn't all there was to his life?....Would he wonder if there is something "beyond the womb?" Sometimes it's hard to not wonder what is going on "behind the curtain" of my life. Experience, nature, and my limited understanding of God so far though have shown me that no matter how painful or long the process is, the work of His hand is a miracle. And so, Lord, help me to bend easily to your hand as you make me, change me, and birth in *me* something of *your* spirit and character. Until we see each other "face to face", hide me safe in your keeping, in the womb of your love. There is more to come... I want to see Him face to face. My Father. My Keeper.


1 Corinthians 13:12 (New International Version)
12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.




3 comments:

Juanita Rose said...

It's like I hear God answering my question: What am I for?
And he says.."You are for me!"
Thanks for this Jess...BEAUTIFUL!

jessica jespersen said...

I was telling Paige that the picture of Wes is so "shocked" looking. Wonder how *we* will look when we see Him face to face finally. :)--j

mamazee said...

i love how there are *hints* all over,too...j Like God is making us guess...