Saturday, March 21, 2009

Joy in the Morning!!

I gave Sadie "over the counter" antacid (Diovol) the past 2 days. Probably more than she should have had but she's also had more vomiting/"D" than she should have had. The Pediatrician said that the Diovol should help to reduce the acidity of her volatile tummy so that it could heal up. I'm so thankful for a simple solution if it will help!! Last night, Sadie stayed up and ate a whole muffin! I know it's *small* sounding but after so long of not eating, it was shocking to hear her say "I'm HUNGRY." I didn't have to bribe her to eat by promising water. She wolfed it down and then settled into bed with me and slept the whole night. She didn't get up and ask for water till the morning when i woke up around 6 to the sound of her crying at the drink dispenser of the fridge. We had locked it the night before. She would not eat breakfast but at lunch ate a whole hot dog. Wow! I'm so relieved. So is Curt. He has been beside himself over Sadie. Waiting to see if the drinking problems will improve with an increase in appetite and eating. So thankful to friends for praying. So thankful to God for comfort, and another reminder that these little ones are not mine alone. They are on loan from His mighty hand. God, help me use my moments to point them to you so that they know where to turn in times of worry and doubt. On a side note: The pediatrician said that many of the anti-nausea act "on the brain" which tells the tummy to settle down but doesn't relieve what is happening in the tummy (eg. Gravol) which is the reason the problems keep re-appearing. He said that others can cause problems with diarrhea. (Pepto Bismol!) We had only given her the one dose of prescription meds. we were given in emerg. to take home to settle her tummy (so that she could keep water down) and that did nothing for her. We tried Gravol and she was very zoned out and, like the other medication, the vomiting returned full force as soon as it wore off. Thank God for an end to the 11 day fast and vomit festival! So thankful! Another thing to be thankful for is Darren. After his seizure the other morning, he threw up and got a wicked headache. I was scared that we were going to go through the same thing with him. I thought he had the flu and that i would have to be on the phone with his Neurologist about how to keep down the anti-seizure meds. He's never had the flu since he was diagnosed over 3 years ago. I e-mailed family and asked them to pray for that situation and I went upstairs with a dose of antacid and his morning medication for his epilepsy. He also needed Tylenol as sometimes the seizures create horrible "waving" headaches and he had one bad. The medicine stayed down and he didn't throw up again. Maybe the seizure created the nausea (which has happened before but not to that extent). Regardless, of physically why it happened that way, it is another answer to prayer in the nick of time. "WOOT WOOT!" ( ...as the teen generation likes to say.) So Happy!

No comments: