Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Dr. Vernon and Sadie
We're having a strange couple weeks with Sadie. First it was a lot of bed-wetting. She has been dry night and day for 4 months now and semi-good for 6 months. The bed wetting has intensified though, and it's a LOT. She's had a couple day time accidents too. She drinks cup after cup of water...she just came downstairs to get a full glass now, wearing a diaper that Curt must have put on her in the night after the 3rd sheet change. She doesn't just take a sip either. Her appetite has been up too. I got scared last night after she peed her bed for the 3rd time... (she peed it more than that by the end of the night) So looked up children and diabetes and those are the first main 3 symptoms. Wondering if i should take her in?...hoping it's a urinary tract infection, but with both of our family histories I'm nervous i guess...plus she doesn't have a fever or pain when she pees and i know that would indicate UTI. I tried the Dr. this morning and it was not open yet for appts. so decided to call Curt's Uncle Vern who has juvenile diabetes. He brought over his "clicker" this morning during school time, snuggled the kids, gave them a little instruction, and then asked Sadie if he could click her finger. She agreed with big smiles but then i accidentally said the word "poke". She looked at me with a nervous look and snatched her finger away from Vernon and his fancy "number maker". He felt terrible and didn't want to poke her but Curt said to just go for it so i snuggled her in and she cried and Vern reluctantly poked her little finger and tested it. 6.5... normal! (whew!) Sadie is still drinking cup after cup of water so i guess we'll just keep an eye on her. Before Vernon left, he showed the kids how he has to take needles in his tummy and Sadie softened for him. He gave her a toonie, snuggled the kids on the couch and told the kids stories and then headed off. After he left i told Sadie, "Next time Vernon comes, you need to say thanks for that toonie he gave you Sadie." She looked up at me shocked and with a little quaver in her voice said "Next Time!!? Next time I won't pee the bed!!" Haa haa! I'm relieved and yet hoping that the drinking/ peeing problems end soon. It's been 5 cups of water already this morning and it's only noon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
It would be good to take her into the doctor. The only true way to diagnose diabetes is to do a glucose fasting at the lab. Follow your gut instincts. If you think something is not right, take her into the doc!
When Alisdair was bedwetting and all other causes were ruled out, the dr. said to restrict his fluids after 4 p.m. That seemed a bit drastic/early to me, but it did work. But it is probably best to get a physical and check as blood sugars can vary widely throughout the day, exercise, activity, what you might or might not have eaten etc. I've been told I have the dreaded diabetes, too... (I had gestational with Isobel and now they think it is Type 2)... I am in a bit of denial but need to start looking after myself as the kids are going to need healthy parents for years to come (at their tender ages!) Good luck with the bedwetting and sheet washing... Thank heaven for automatic washers and dryers!!
Cousin Denise in Saskatchewan
Yeah, if it gets worse, I'm taking her in... Wes seems to be warm tonight and Robin started complaining of a sore neck. Sadie told me her neck was sore last night too. I'm hoping it's a touch of some kind of bug, and that the rest of them are getting it. Nice when we hope for everyone to get sick. In the meantime, three sheets have been making their way through the wash machine to be ready for tonight...hopefully we won't need them. Wes has cried all day today so something is up sickness-wise i would think. :( poor little ones!-j
love that John Mayer song, too...
anyway, just to let you know that i have given up with Ulysses! He will have to care more if i put him in big boy pants. I think for him, it's wanting to be the baby - so i'm trying to speak in his love language (touch!!!) even though i am completely touched out... sigh... and i'm making him wear a diaper and plastic pants - hope he gets back into the swing of things. And hope Sadie starts using the potty again - i think you need to print her out those potty training posters again (Every time you poop in the potty, a magical unicorn visits!)http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pS_6yKrXtOs/Rzql6Ws3zqI/AAAAAAAAAbQ/PZOSMg_cneI/s200/PottyColoring_Unicorn.jpg&imgrefurl=http://creativetypes.blogspot.com/2007/11/potty-training-idea-87-toilet-training.html&usg=__6u4CIiLD5jmAsLHPYr2YU2uV_iY=&h=200&w=155&sz=8&hl=en&start=1&sig2=QL5SLKpLKEB7nvbMfPbG5g&um=1&tbnid=MywAu8k7yskxZM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=81&ei=aj-vSdiaDJfItQOIk_CJAg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dunicorn%2Bpotty%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1C1GGLS_enCA291CA303%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1
um... yikes. that was a crazy long link... but, you know where to find them...
I'm glad you are bird-dogging this Jessie. Hope you'll be able to get her in to your Dr. tomorrow and hopefully the specialist soon after that. I know you'll keep us updated, and of course we'll be praying and trusting Father.
mama
Post a Comment