Thursday, March 5, 2009

Latest big project

Darren and Carrie worked on "circle stories" last month and after they were done I suggested we make them into books. I wanted Robin to do one too so she collected the poems she wrote this year and decided to put together a poetry book. Ellie did a "baby book". She is quite impressed with her final product and keeps it in a secret location. I couldn't find it tonight when I went to take pictures. I'll have to ask her where she hid it tomorrow and get pics of it too. The books exactly match each child's interests. Darren's is about an imaginary mushroom and box collector, Carrie's is about a family of orphaned Native children, Robin's is all about the poetry and art and Ellie's is about teaching babies how to read. :) I wrote Robin's and Ellie's author write-ups for the back page, but Darren and Carrie had to do their own. We found the blank "little golden books" at Walmart and covered them in something like mac-tac. We used fiberglass tape for the edges that wouldn't stick. Carrie and Ellie (my little twins of different ages) are finished but Darren and Robin are still working on illustrations and coloring. Darren because he's not too fond of coloring and Robin because she is taking time to make it just right.






Carrie's big lovey ending, (family is more important than having 3 magic wishes).....................................................









Darren's vain hero. The "bubble" is someone saying "You're SO handsome!....................................
















Robin's poem about the movement and color of leaves in the fall. She had already done a "visual" to go with the poem when she originally wrote it so we took a picture of it and included it in the book.................










Robin's poem she wrote for her cousin Cairo's Haiku contest and illustrations to go with.............................









Here is Ellie's. She pulled it out for me this morning. Very cute.


"Tree---House"
"Worm--Caterpillar"


"Horse"
Her dedication page reads: "Dedicated to my favourite babies: Jada, Wesley, Mielle, Gage, Elijah, Ryder, Julia and Carter. I love you." She has a long list of favourite babies! :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You homeschooling sisters amaze me. Just love the books. They are wonderful keepsakes for you and the children.

jessica jespersen said...

The idea sprang from 2 books I had "made" when i was in grades 5 and 6. I still have them. The kids thought they were so neat because they had my drawings and writing in them from when i was the age they are now. It *is* a great keepsake isn't it!--j

paige said...

HAha! You blogged a victory today! LOVE those books! They turned out so good! i still have mine too (& it's not very good!) My kids think my picture is hilarious :)
i blogged a defeat today :)
Win some, you lose some.

Anonymous said...

Alisdair would LOVE to write his own book... I'll have to look in the local Walmart sometime to see if they have the blank Little Golden books there...
Saskatchewan Cousin...

Shawna said...

Remember when you taught me how to make that book of Kaehli and her daddy? With Jean material? It is STILL in her room after all these years and very specail to her...you have inspired me...maybe we will do some more:)

jessica jespersen said...

Yes! Curt keeps asking me to make more of those for the kids i missed. :) I ran out of tyvek paper but i'll have to go on a search again and find more...I should post pics of those for more family craft ideas. The kids love them. I finally bought a serger this year so i wouldn't have to borrow that equiptment if i made more either. You could come over and do them with me if i get my act together. ;)--j

Anonymous said...

Wow-those are great. I love the Haiku-very thoughtful. And it was great that Ellie filled the whole pages with color. You've got talented kids!

Juanita Rose said...

totally loved this idea and the results...I have never seen blank golden books before and have no idea what tyvek paper is! (grin) but am on the hunt now!!!

jessica jespersen said...

Tyvek paper is a strong white paper they use to wrap new houses in as they build before putting up siding...Strong white envelopes for packages are made of it and i think those white outfits you can wear for painting. I'm wondering if you can get it by the roll at a home depot?--j

mamazee said...

i love how their little golden books turned out!

T just found our daddy book at work last week again... he keeps it there :)

stephanie