Have you ever had one of those days when it's over before you feel like you really punched your card into the time-slot machine? Well, today was one of those days for me! Curt had 4 goats to sell. He had loaded them up yesterday and took them to the auction house for today's sale. He told me we were going to go around 10 so to be ready with the kids and he would come and pick us up. We got breakfast on, everyone got math done then rotated with their L.A. while I worked one on one with the music lessons. Wes was a good baby and slept during the whole morning. The kids all set out books to bring for the drive. During the course of the morning though, Curt called to say that there were only about 8 goats going to be at the sale and 4 of them were ours! We were not going to go after all. I went back to the interrupted music lessons and broke the news. About 1/2 hour later though he called again to say that a few more had been brought so that we would go after all just for fun....even if it was only to buy chips at the concession and pick up the cheque. We were going to be late. He'd be home in 10 minutes. I was to drop everything and be ready. (So much of my life is spent dropping everything because of a change of plans. Boy am I going to be ready for the rapture!) Anyways, we drove to the auction in a vehicle blaring a CD about "Brother Andrew" for me and Curt while the older two read their "Trailblazer" series and the younger two read Little Bear and The Fire Cat. Sadie promptly fell asleep. Wes only howled for 1/2 of the trip *whimper*. We pulled up, loaded everyone out of the vehicle, filed into the near-empty auction house and filled the front row! Usually we can't find a seat and I have to load 2-3 kids on my lap. The auctioneer hopscotched all his tricky words through the dusty mic as about 5 groups of goats made their way in front of us....then it was over!! It had taken longer to drive there! haa haa
Back to the car,
to the bank,
to the library picking up ordered books,
to the gas station to see my sister in law home from vacation.
HOME
I hit the tub with Wes who had screamed all the way home this time. He was thrilled with the tub. When we got out the screaming commenced. Curt asked if i wanted to go on a date. I should have said no (considering Wes) but I really wanted to go out with just him. He picked up his babysitting niece who is amazing in every way, I pulled the crazy braids out of my hair, put on some lipstick and the three of us drove out the driveway together. Just Curt, Wes and I. Wes was finally sleeping so I thought that maybe we would have a peaceful dinner together. I was wrong. We got to the restaurant and who should come to serve us but Amelia Bedelia... well if it wasn't her it may as well have been. It was her 2nd day she told us with a giggle...I'm not sure if she meant "at the job" or "on earth". It was hilarious and piteous at the same time. I asked for a hot water with lemons. She brought me a foot-high metal cylinder filled with boiling water and wrapped in a dish-rag with the warning: "HERE IT IS!!! AND LIKE ALL HOT WATER... IT'S HOOOOOOT!" I was struck dumb. She just walked away and Curt gave me the look that said "Don't look at me, I don't know how you're supposed to drink out of that." But he said. You'd better hold onto that, it's not flat and it'll fall over." When she bounced by my table i politely asked her if I may have a mug or teacup to pour the water into. "ABSOLUTELY!!" She also brought us a large bowl of lemons. Then Wes began to cry... now I'm not going to go into every strange interchange between Amelia and us but let me assure you that it did continue! I got up to take Wes and his healthy lungs for a walk and Curt ate his meal as fast as he could. Then I gave Wes to Curt and picked up my fork. Amelia appeared, tilted her head to the side and asked me "Can I take your plate?" I said "Pardon me?" "Can I take your plate? Are you finished?" I looked at Curt with a smile. "No, I've only just begun but thanks.".... I don't know why i said "Thanks". Curt leaned over. "How come no one is looking after her? She's just on the loose!" I think she spied on us for the rest of the meal because as soon as the last morsel of food was in my mouth she was back to take my plate. Maybe we were her only table.
We stopped by Baby'sRUs to get a gift for a friend who just had a baby and drove home. Here I am now... the day gone, the kids tucked in but not asleep, Curt on his way home from driving the babysitter home...What just happened? It feels like the whole day passed in a finger snap. I am one day older, 12 hours of memories richer, and feeling a little lost...maybe a little like Amelia Bedelia...I may make myself a tall metal cylinder of boiling liquid wrapped in a tea towel... that should clear my mind.
Back to the car,
to the bank,
to the library picking up ordered books,
to the gas station to see my sister in law home from vacation.
HOME
I hit the tub with Wes who had screamed all the way home this time. He was thrilled with the tub. When we got out the screaming commenced. Curt asked if i wanted to go on a date. I should have said no (considering Wes) but I really wanted to go out with just him. He picked up his babysitting niece who is amazing in every way, I pulled the crazy braids out of my hair, put on some lipstick and the three of us drove out the driveway together. Just Curt, Wes and I. Wes was finally sleeping so I thought that maybe we would have a peaceful dinner together. I was wrong. We got to the restaurant and who should come to serve us but Amelia Bedelia... well if it wasn't her it may as well have been. It was her 2nd day she told us with a giggle...I'm not sure if she meant "at the job" or "on earth". It was hilarious and piteous at the same time. I asked for a hot water with lemons. She brought me a foot-high metal cylinder filled with boiling water and wrapped in a dish-rag with the warning: "HERE IT IS!!! AND LIKE ALL HOT WATER... IT'S HOOOOOOT!" I was struck dumb. She just walked away and Curt gave me the look that said "Don't look at me, I don't know how you're supposed to drink out of that." But he said. You'd better hold onto that, it's not flat and it'll fall over." When she bounced by my table i politely asked her if I may have a mug or teacup to pour the water into. "ABSOLUTELY!!" She also brought us a large bowl of lemons. Then Wes began to cry... now I'm not going to go into every strange interchange between Amelia and us but let me assure you that it did continue! I got up to take Wes and his healthy lungs for a walk and Curt ate his meal as fast as he could. Then I gave Wes to Curt and picked up my fork. Amelia appeared, tilted her head to the side and asked me "Can I take your plate?" I said "Pardon me?" "Can I take your plate? Are you finished?" I looked at Curt with a smile. "No, I've only just begun but thanks.".... I don't know why i said "Thanks". Curt leaned over. "How come no one is looking after her? She's just on the loose!" I think she spied on us for the rest of the meal because as soon as the last morsel of food was in my mouth she was back to take my plate. Maybe we were her only table.
We stopped by Baby'sRUs to get a gift for a friend who just had a baby and drove home. Here I am now... the day gone, the kids tucked in but not asleep, Curt on his way home from driving the babysitter home...What just happened? It feels like the whole day passed in a finger snap. I am one day older, 12 hours of memories richer, and feeling a little lost...maybe a little like Amelia Bedelia...I may make myself a tall metal cylinder of boiling liquid wrapped in a tea towel... that should clear my mind.




3 comments:
ROFL,
I can not even imagine having a waitress like that!! lol
And the dropping everything to do something with Daddy is just something I do in a heartbeat! lol
the kids have a harder time adjusting than I do..hehe But then I'm also one to follow him around like a lost puppy when he's home!
Hahaha!!! Hilarious, jess.
Hehehe! What a day! I'm exhausted for you!!!
Post a Comment