Saturday, February 28, 2009

Radium or Bust


We decided last week to set out for Radium Hot Springs and have a family getaway. When we were finally all loaded up, i looked in the console and Curt had rented a handful of movies for the kids to watch. I had brought books so while the kids watched "The Yearling", "The Black Stallion" and "Spirit", I read aloud to Curt. I was feeling snorkelly and for some reason my back has been aching since Wes' November birth so wasn't surprised that as we pulled out of the driveway I could feel myself descending into full head-cold mode and achiness. So typical to get sick the minute you find time for it! I generously gave my illness to Curt and he is still suffering. ooops! :) We stopped in Calgary at my sister's place, put the kids to bed and nursed babies on her bed while the men talked downstairs. In the morning I went to get a shower and heard a frantic non-stop knocking on the bathroom door. I thought it was one of the kids as i said "I hear you!... I'm coming!" The knocking never let up in it's intensity. I thought, "This must be a HUGE emergency!!" I opened the door to find my sister Paige standing there smiling! After pushing her over, sitting on her and spanking her for her bad behaviour, she informed me that their water heater was broken so I couldn't take a shower. I took a cold one anyways. Seeing Paige was the highlight of my month. It seems like it's been forever since we've been together. After packing up our junk, we set out for Radium. The drive was beautiful. Our time away was maybe not as relaxing as we had hoped as the temperature dipped and it became too cold to take Wesley in the water. The icy wind whistled in his ears. Curt and I alternated days of taking the kids in the pools while the other one sat out with baby Wes. The rest of our time was spent eating, reading and teaching/playing card games with the kids....Oh yeah, and my personal favourite, the food network. We also were smart enough to invite ourselves over to Curt's aunt's house in Kimberly for a day of visiting. :) We decided to cut the getaway a day short and go visit Paige for dinner on the way home. When we got back to Calgary, Paige had a killer lasagna supper for us and my mom was there visiting. The cousins went sledding, played cards together and hid in bedrooms together telling stories while us mama's got caught up. Finding time to pull away as a family is becoming more and more precious even as it's becoming harder sometimes...it's good and needed. So fine to be back home in our own nest though!

4 comments:

paige said...

You missed the part where i was trying to rescue you from stepping into an ice cold shower & you beat me up & my only way to protect myself was to pinch your bum (which is normally OFF LIMITS) till you finally retreated...
highlight of my month too.
FINALLY you're blogging again...

jessica jespersen said...

Yes, you did do the "illegal act"!... That's why I tickled your feet mercilessly....I think the wrestling match was Curt's favourite part of the trip too haa haa!-j

mamazee said...

Sounds like so much fun... I think we need to plan something like that for our Spring Break... I'm going snaky in the same few rooms over and over :)

Shawna said...

You girlies are so fun!! Glad you had a good trip Jess!