Friday, January 23, 2009
Little Mama's Progress
Curt and I had a long conversation about my post yesterday while laying in bed. He still hasn't read it but for the record, disagrees that what I experience has anything to do with being a perfectionist. I'm still struggling with what to call it then... If I'm not a perfectionist, if that term is to be reserved for truly glistening homes and sticklers, then what am I? This sounds like the playground taunt "I know you are but what am I? haa haa! I guess for now I will settle for "Self pant-kicker with guilt-ridden worrier tendencies". Whatever the case may be, it is the reason that whenever I read "Little Pilgrims Progress" and I get to the part where Christian lays his burden at the foot of the cross, I sob like a lost 3 year old. Nothing like a flood of grace is there?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Well, I struggle with perfectionism I think...if that isn't what it is, I don't know what to call it either. I have grown in it though...and have learned to let go of many little things...like when the kids help fold laundry and it looks terrible...my impulisive desire is to take it and re-do it. But I don't, I tell them "thankyou for helping momma, and what a GOOD job!". I also only did 3 wedding cakes ever b/c I could only see all the faults in them and it was VERY stressful trying to get it just perfect. All three brides loved them though...but it was just to much for me. It drives Tory crazy when we are getting ready to show the house...again it has to be just right...and sometimes I will go behind him and RE make the beds...again so they are perfect. I don't know what it is that bothers me so much...but I know how things should be, and I like them just so. Maybe that will help you deside if you fit in this catergory. I could go on...but I won't.
I think I'm in the mental torment stages of perfectionism but not in the actual "perfect" stage haha! You DO do so many things well Shawna...and it is hard laying some things down for the sake of the sanity isn't it! Maybe I just layed too many things down already! Gave myself brain-shock....and a huge laundry back-up to boot!-j
i agree with Shawna - it's not is everything perfect, but can you enjoy life when it isn't? i'm finding Fridays are my hardest day - the littles don't do so many chores, and i can't relax when the house is yucky. So i spend all Friday sweaty and trying to catch up while they play.. great way to have a fun fabulous friday... anyway, my new Fun Fabulous Fridays are going to start with getting the house nice and then i can relax along with them... sometimes it's good to be able to say "good enough"... but it's hard when you're the gatekeeper of the house, and you know it won't get better unless you do it, and you also know it just piles up FASTER AND FASTER if you take time off! LOL! smooching you - January is hard in these northern regions.. winter lasts so long and i get cabin fever :)
Isn't it *ever* long! I can't wait for the smells of spring and the bush and the rains and the horses... and everything else that goes with my joy!!!
i think there's a huge difference between perfectionism and 'perfect'. i agree that a perfectionist's house can be the messiest of all because you know you'll never do it 'perfect', so you're unable to begin cleaning... i had to learn to let that go, do a little bit... move on & do a little bit more when i can. My mother in law's house is very nice & clean & beautifully decorated, but she has zero perfectionist tendencies, she just does the best she can & is happy with it...
Jess... i weep when Faithful dies... Every time... That is my favourite children's book... and when Christian talks about meeting his mother...
I love that book too Paige. I like your idea to make it a read-aloud everytime someone hits grade 1. Great tradition. We're just starting the middle ages and I'm going to do it as a read-aloud next.
oh Jess! RAIN...the smell of rain...sigh. Stephanie is right...can we lay things aside and enjoy life anyway??? That is the million dollar question! And Paige..."Huge difference between perfectionism and perfect" OH YES! I am NOT NOT NOT and will say again NOT perfect!!! And the idea that "you'll never do it perfect, so you just don't do it"...so true! Maybe that's why wedding cakes make me cringe! I will leave things way to long b/c I want to do it just right or completly (HATE leaving things half done, would rather not do it at all). For ex. I like to clean my laundry room up first and vacume in there, go through each kids room to make sure I got every thing, change the cat liter so it's not smelly in there, and THEN start laundry so i have a nice clean space to spend my day and don't have to think of all the other things I should do besides the laundry!!...sigh. Sometimes that takes an hour before I can even start. I am sounding more and more horrible the more I right!! Good greif!
Stephanie that sounds like a wonderful Friday (friday is my laundry day), then to spend the rest of the day and weekend not worrying about cleaning! Perfect;)
confession: I'm only commenting right now so that i don't have to go clean my house. ok, ok,,, i'm going now!! ;) --j
Muah Jess!!!
Post a Comment