Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Woman's Guilt Feast--part 2

O.K. I've been getting a lot of comments on the guilt post, through facebook, e-mails or this blog. These guilty suggestions are not all mine... but statements of guilt I've been collecting from women friends...It's not meant to be an exhaustive list. I don't need to tell you what you feel guilty for...Just a little reflective mirror to display all the sticks we beat ourselves with. I believe there is such a thing as healthy shame... but there is also such a thing as unhealthy shame. The verses that follow these statements speaks to both.:


Guilty for eating too many cookies.
Guilty because you quit making cookies with your kids.

Guilty because you aren't the fun mom you wanted to be.
Guilty because you aren't strict enough with your kids.

Guilty because you stayed too long in a bad relationship.
Guilty because you left.

Guilty because your kids aren't involved in enough music, sports, outdoor activities...etc.
Guilty because your family is run ragged with extra-curricular events.

Guilty that you spend too much time away from your family doing something you love.
Guilty that you gave up one of the things you most loved and you don't think you'll ever get it back.

Guilty for working outside the home.
Guilty for staying home and not contributing to the income of the home.

Guilty for public schooling your kids.
Guilty for homeschooling your kids.

Guilty for holding the baby when you should clean.
Guilty for cleaning when you should hold the baby.

Guilty for not taking enough risks in life.
Guilty because you took too many risks.

Guilty because your kids have never been outside their own province, never seen the world.
Guilty because you moved to another country away from all the family.

Guilty for letting someone take advantage of you.
Guilty for not being vulnerable and reaching out to someone in need.


Romans 8:1,2
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death."


Here is Romans 8: 1-2 again, this time paraphrased by Eugene Petersen in his book "The Message":

"With the arrival of Jesus, the Messiah, that fateful dilemma is resolved. Those who enter into Christ's being-here-for-us no longer have to live under a continuous, low-lying black cloud. A new power is in operation. The Spirit of life in Christ, like a strong wind, has magnificently cleared the air, freeing you from a fated lifetime of brutal tyranny at the hands of sin and death.

I'm going to just post this verse all over the house this week, teach it to my kids... lean on it, cling to it, claim it...and let the grace flow down and cover me.

4 comments:

Shawna said...

BEAUTIFUL!

mamazee said...

The funny thing is when you can claim both halves of the guilt conundrum.. and it's not just guilt, sometimes it's discontent that you are allowing to settle down and cover up...

jessica jespersen said...

exactly...I like your previous Thankfulness option for that conundrum!! Curt's grandma Phylis' favourite hymn was always "count your blessings" I always thought that was interresting as she had lost 3 husbands...such a testimony to her attitude of clinging to the good things.--j

Anonymous said...

I think you should re-name this "The Andrea Post" I love January and September because they are my 're-evaluate and set goals' months. This past week I went over everything that makes me feel guilty and decided to "pee or get off the pot"...and then clean it. Some of my thoughts and/or behaviors get changed ie)Isaac gets played with and read to in the morning BEFORE I shower or exercise so that I know we've spent some fun,quality time together before the day slips away and others become "get over it" behaviors like the cookies because, well, cookies are too good to feel guilty about.