
Yesterday we started "The Story of the World---History for the Classical Child". I bought the C.D so had it running while we were all around the table working on the map and coloring work that went with the story. Suddenly, 1/2 way through the lessons, Curt came exploding through the back door and announced "I'm going to pick up a billy goat!! Who wants to come!!??" Books were slammed shut, pencils thrown in the general direction of the pencil box and the C.D. droned on telling the story of the rise and fall of Rome... I looked around at the empty table thinking "Thanks alot 'principal Curt"!... and then smiled. We have a fun principal. :) Anyways, today we finished off the lesson and decided to do the cooking ideas that went with it. We were to cook our food over a fire-pit and eat with our hands like the Roman Soldiers. It's a little chilly to be cooking over an open fire so i decided to use the oven. I had frozen ziplock bags full of meatballs in the freezer to sent Darren to bring me 6 of them. He cut up some potatos, grabbed a bag of carrots and mushrooms from the fridge and i pulled out alluminum foil to make packages for their food. Darren helped each of the other kids to load up their alluminum foil with food, sprinkle it with salt and pepper and a bit of butter and then we sealed them and marked them. Half and hour in the oven at 400, and lunch was served. I got Carrie to dress up a pizza crust from the freezer just in case. (Oh me of little faith!) They loved it. Carrie offered to make it for breakfast tomorrow morning and every little bit was eaten up... and so was the pizza! This afternoon we are making Roman columns out of sugar cookie dough and then coming in like the Goths and Huns...etc Barbarians to destroy Roman rule... and of course eat all the cookies. I think I will like this new program but I may not lose my baby weight too quickly! eeek!--j
3 comments:
Oh that sounds fun!! Is that in the second story of the world?? or first? I keep wanting to start it, but every time I do I end up stopping so we can just solidify reading and math! lol
Yeah, it's book 2. :) I've been wanting to get at it for a long time too. The kids have been listening to the cd's for fun the past year but we never really dove in until this week. I had some KONOS to contend with first. (I don't think I will do that program again.) Love the idea but not easy to do without loads of prep. This one seems to be more our style and way easier for *me*. I hear you on the Math and LA. It's so important. I've dropped everything to focus in on those only at times too. Nice to be able to do that when you know it's needed!--j
I remember doing this - the "barbarians" were celts and all had blue face paint - they still remember that :)...
Post a Comment