13 months after our marriage:
When we brought our first child home from the hospital we were hypnotized. We couldn't sleep for staring at him in the bed between us. I remember both being propped up on one elbow in bed with little Darren sleeping in between us. I looked over at Curt staring at Darren and thought. "This little life is here because of our love for each other!" It was an overwhelming thought. When Darren would cry in the night, we would both get up to watch him nurse and have a change of pants, watch him being burped, watch him watch him watch him... and slowly Curt faded off to sleep. There was nothing *he* could do anyways. He had to get up at 5 am for work. Curt was a light sleeper and the lights being turned on, the crying and the bed jostling as I got in and out was annoying to him. On nights that Darren's colic was on 'high' he would scream for 4 hours at a time. There was no place to go in the tiny farm house we were living in and our attic bedroom was open to every sound. I tried to soothe Darren, I took him to the living room to watch the dark winter night continue on without me, all the while, jiggling Darren, singing, rocking, pacing, patting, massaging his tummy. A few nights Curt dragged his weary old self and walked out the door the 50 paces to his mother's house and slept in the basement. It was impossible for me to not take that personally. It made me feel deserted in those bleary-eyed first months of motherhood.
12 years later...
The other night Wes, our sixth child, now two months old ended a fitful night of sleep. He has been snorkely with a cold lately and it was as if a litter of snorting, slurping, spluttering piglets were writhing in the bed between me and Curt. I got his nose cleaned out as he howled. Finally he latched on and his eyes rolled back in his head as he settled in for another little stretch of milk induced sleep. Through it all, Curt laid there like a rock. No complaints, no movement, determinedly "sleeping". It was as if he were in a locked vault. I had to burst out laughing. If he wanted to sneak over to his mom's nowadays i couldn't care less. My how times have changed. I love the mellowing that the years have produced in both of us...i hope we just keep getting softer in all things. Life and marriage is hard enough... I'm so happy for tenderness to begin spreading it's tendrils all around.
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
This one made me giggle because of a conversation I was just having with my hubby. Lately when any of the kids wake up calling in the night it is more often Gord than I who gets up to tend to them. He told me today that apparently my 'mommy ears' stopped working about the same time as my mammary glands.
Good for a laugh... there's been a lot of mellowing around here too... If the kids would bother us at night, Gordon used to get upset and complain that he HAD to have his sleep so he could go to work... John often hears Isobel in the night and looks after her need for a drink or a dry pullup... one night recently, as he crawled back into the bed, John said out loud (Now that's what you call SHARED PARENTING!) Amen... I'm all for it!! It's great to be able to share the load and to just relax and mellow and not worry about walking on eggshells to keep others happy. Saskatchewan Cousin
In all honesty, Curt began to tenderize a little earlier than with the 6th! ha haa! His philosophy at this point is that when i have a new baby, he gets up with the rest and i have the one. I'm sure little wes will settle into a better night routine and then it's a lot easier on everyone. It's interresting working out all the details of who can/will do what to make things run smoothly in each home isn't it?!
Gene slept on a mattress in the living room while mine were newborns. But now he can sleep through Samara screaming right beside him! Waking him up in the middle of the night now is nearly impossible! SK
Curt does an amazing job giving you time and space with your tiniest. 'Hands on dads' make me smile. I was always so thankful when Gord would run an errand and take the older kids with him. The kids had the excitement of time with Dad and I had the excitement of quiet with the baby.
Post a Comment