Saturday, December 19, 2009
How we do the Christmas shopping
My sister did a couple of posts explaining how she does certain activities with her family of 8 and I thought since it's Christmas, I would share how we do Christmas in the present department for the kids. We do get comments about how crazy it must be with 6 kids and buying presents for everyone, but in reality, it has been made fairly simple with a couple of traditions that have grown over the past few years. I hope the traditions will continue to improve and change over the years as the kids get older (maybe hand-made gifts) but at this stage and these ages, this is simple, peaceful and the most fun for everyone involved. Here it is: Curt and I buy one present for each child, and *sometimes* one for each other. When it gets close to Christmas, the kids and I pile into the vehicle and head to the local dollar store. They pair off and buy for each other. One item for each of their siblings from the dollar store. When they have their presents, they either buy it on their own, or if the store is full, they pile it in my cart under my coat so no one can see and I pay for it and they pay me back at home. (Somehow, it is more exciting for them when they can say they chose the present themselves and bought it out of their own money.) When we get home, each one comes to my room and tells me what they bought so i can get it from the bags for them. I give them a roll of paper, scissors and tape and they hide in their room wrapping and labelling all their gifts. the end. :) merry Christmas
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
i love it! How do you decide on just *one* gift to give them, though? I'd agonize for forever and a day!!
Then it will be sure to be good. haa haa!! ;)--j
haha - mel must have the "love language" of gift giving... i have to wrack my brains just to come up with *one* gift per kid. Then again, Neil is brutal - if he thinks of something, he just goes and buys it, never waiting for Christmas or a birthday. That makes it more challenging.;)
Post a Comment