Saturday, December 19, 2009

How we decorate the Christmas tree

For those of you who have ever lived with toddlers 2 and under, you are going to totally understand why my Christmas tree is decorated as it is; decorations on the top, nothing on the bottom. For those of you totally confounded...I'll fill you in. Babies and toddlers love Christmas ornaments. They love to eat them, throw them, step on them, carry them to the far reaches of the universe, flush them down the toilet, slide them into the couch, DVD player, piano, and sometimes their diapers. I am not a fussy decorator. I LOVE beautiful decor... but i am not a big shopper, i hate dusting, and when it all comes down to it, having a display of perfection is not worth the money or agony when a little one decides to *FEEEEEEL* it all over with candy cane fingers or take it apart, or "make crafts" from it. My favourite kind of decorations are home-made ones you can throw out...or eat. Paper snowflakes, bakers dough ornaments, candy canes, and candy necklaces. We did, however start a tradition a few years ago that the kids love. They each buy one new ornament to put on the tree each year. My nature loving child found a ball covered in feathers. My fancy girl bought a pink sparkly sequined ball. My son... he just tries to find a bigger one than the year before. His is obvious in this picture:

5 comments:

Jen said...

That's fun! I'm glad you let it be a fun family thing and not a fussy decorating thing.
Ours is barricaded right now ;)
Haha - but I'm sure as our children grow it will look a little more "loved".

paige said...

HhAHAHAHAHA!! Where did Darren find that HUGE ball?? i burst out laughing;...

jessica jespersen said...

We usually hit the Canadian Tire store, but he may have maxed out the size this year. You never know though. I thought he got the "biggest one" last year too. -j

Andrea Leder said...

Don't forget HEAVY! That thing could break your toe!

jessica jespersen said...

yes. Darren's last year ornament was pretty heavy. This year it's as light as a bubble... but a lot larger. I hope the tree will survive his abuse as the years go on! -j