Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"Are we there yet??"

We've all driven in cars on long trips and asked the driver the two most important questions on a journey: "Are we there yet?" "How much longer?" Today, I'm feeling like the driver of the car on this journey of pregnancy. We're not there yet... and I don't know how much longer! :) The problem is that I don't have a very good answer to the question "When are you due?" Some people said i was due today, some said i would be due on the 10th. The "books" say i could have had the baby 2 weeks ago and that i may go a full 2 weeks after the latest date. Suddenly I feel like i've joined the ranks of my physician. (I'll explain...) I have often thought the past 9 months that her job was much like a psychics. I explained it in an e-mail to my family this way: "I have a Dr. appt in the evening.... It's like visiting a psychic that tells you nothing except what you can figure out on your own...."You have gained more weight... you are uncomfortable..... but the baby should come within the month!!!...come again in a week and I will tell you MOOOOOOORE!!!"... My dad called the other night to see if the baby had come. At least you can answer that kind of a question. No. But as if i wouldn't call him up the minute this little one did arrive. This excitement makes me dizzy. The kids keep putting their mouths up to my stomach and telling "Haukie" to come out. My husband keeps asking me if I'm feeling any contractions, my mom is desperate not to miss the event. She's flying in tomorrow night late. Meanwhile, i feel like I'm preparing the longest turkey dinner for the largest crowd and that the guests are all starving but the turkey isn't ready. Or that I'm going to put on a huge performance and the theater has been full for weeks but I'm not prepared to take the stage..... yet! Today, the stress of the question "Are we there yet" was dissolved in a sudden thought.... People care... people are looking forward to meeting this little one just as much as I am! I have family that loves him already, friends that are interested in the agony of this wait, relatives that are cheering for our family from the sidelines. Friends, Family, Relatives, these are such blessings. They really do "multiply the joy and divide the sorrow." What a blessing to be not driving along this road alone, with no one in the car to ask how the journey is going. God is good.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I was thinking about you today...I even told my husband, "Paige's sister should have her baby soon..." (he seemed generally excited for not really knowing who you are :) )
We had our BPP u/s today. Baby looks healthy! - and pretty cute too!
Anxiously waiting with you & for you!

Melissa said...

You're so right - the agony of the wait - I love your descriptions of how people/kids/family are demonstrating their anticipation. We are excited with you!!