Tuesday, August 18, 2009

projects

I've learned recently that i love "projects". In the past it has been things like learning to play the mandolin or trying to make medicines from wild plants. :) I've been asking Curt for a few years now to bring me home scrap wood so that i could try to build a playhouse or something. He didn't know where to get scrap wood so came home with a few 2X4's and some plywood. At least I think it's plywood. I have to admit.... i know nothing, have never done this before, don't have the right tools and am getting all my information from the Internet. I finished the floor and ran out of wood. Curt came home with a more generous load of wood. I ran out of screws. Curt came home with a bigger box. I got to the "roof" stage and was stalled for over a week trying to figure out the simplest method. But this am, after a long conversation on the phone with Curt's uncle, i made the first truss for the gabled roof...and ordered up a few more boards in order to made a little loft section. We will see. Every time one of Curt's "handy" relatives come over and sees my monstrosity sitting in the yard, I shrivel up a little with embarrassment. You don't have to examine too closely to see that i missed a few braces, slipped a tiny piece of wood in to level things off in my framing, made my cuts a little crooked as i did it free-hand. etc... But hopefully I'll remember my mistakes and learn something out of this project. If this even partially works out, my next goal will be to build a little greenhouse for tomatoes. I've been forcing the kids to help me steady pieces, line them up and screw together boards and hopefully they will learn something along with me. I also wrangled my good friend Autumn into helping me with the framing. (She didn't know how to do it either.) :) I'll post more pics as it *hopefully* comes together. I'm so behind in blogging... so many drafts... i suppose getting caught up should be my next "project".



Darren offered to watch Wes while I finished up the last bit with Carrie. When we came in, He was watching sports on the couch and Wes had fallen asleep in his lap. So sweet.









3 comments:

mamalena said...

WOW! Looks great Jessie! Where are you building it? Are you putting it out in the trees?

jessica jespersen said...

I didn't get a good one of the actual framed playhouse. The part i framed for a window looks a little butchered but otherwise it's fairly acceptable i hope! I'm planning on putting bunks in it and positioning it in the new garden plot across from the house. There is a water pump there. Originally we were thinking bush but then i started to build and it was bigger than would make it easy to move to the bush. haa! I guess if i build in the bush i will do it on location. :) --j

mamazee said...

oh, i love the brothers picture (and so glad you are blogging again! I missed you!!!!)
The roof trusses look fancy :) and it's going to be so fun for the littles to play in the new playhouse :)