Friday, August 21, 2009

all the little pea pickers

We're *starting* to get produce from the garden! I know, I know, it's August...but it's also Alberta and sometimes the weather deals the gardens a bad hand. The frost hit it hard, (and potatoes, tomatoes started all over again!...cucumbers were totally wiped out.) then the drought hit, then the horses got in, then Curt rototilled snips of rows! (If you're reading this CURT, I'm still thankful for the help though!) Not sure what all will "make it" (as frost again has made it's mark) but the kids have been enjoying picking peas. The beets, lettuce and beans are all doing well too. Everything else is still trying it's best to make it in time before the cold hits again. For a few days in a row, Robin came in with flats of peas. She always attached a little love note for me. :) Finally, we picked all the rest and had enough to freeze 2 large Ziploc bags. This past week we finally got carrots and potatoes. The corn that is only about waist-high this year is actually producing ripening cobs and the zucchini that started so late has decided to make a few perfectly tiny zucchinis as well! So thankful for the things that succeeded in spite of the horrible gardening year. And I'm also thankful for all the little pea pickers! :)

Robin's flat of peas. A little "I love you."
A successful garden raid.


No comments: