Thursday, June 11, 2009

The "Perfect Curriculum"

I was dreaming about choosing homeschooling curriculum. My last dream before I woke up. I was poring over all the different selections. I couldn't decide. Suddenly my dream changed and there was a walking baby in a one piece jammie. The baby was walking along what was like a stage, there was soft music and the spotlights around the baby were a psychedelic swirl of colors, sometimes focusing on the baby, sometimes the stage, sometimes...hey! There were people all watching the baby, neatly lined on stands. The baby stopped and focused in one one face. A blond woman with pearl earrings and a hot pink skirt and jacket. A bright white light focused on the "mother" which i recognized her to be. (Not that I've ever dressed that way, or seen any mothers who do lately!! :)) She didn't know what to do, how to react, but the baby was "choosing" her, and just kept staring at her insistently. The baby didn't say anything but the camera lens of my dream, which became the baby's perspective, slowly zoomed in on the shocked mother's face and the music grew in volume. It's then that the dream shredded away from me and...
i woke up
to a new sound.
Wesley calling my name from his crib.
"mamamamamamama..."
I'm wondering now if that dream was born out of a comment i heard at the homeschooling conference. "As the mother... You ARE the curriculum."
God has created the perfect learning environment when He created families. (whether we are trying to teach or not) A father, a mother, children... a home. This is His...We are His... this family...but what am i teaching simply because of who I am, what i say, what i do? Lord, teach me to be the mother you would have me be. Let my faith in YOU be obvious by my actions, my words and the life i live day to day. I surrender this "imperfect curriculum", me, into your hands. Let this life of motherhood praise you.

2 comments:

Lori-Dawn said...

wow....your post spoke volumes to me! thanks for sharing!!

crys said...

mmmm

and of course, I thought "adoption!" All those kids, being watched by so many, making their way alone until...mama. finally.