Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Normal

Writing back and forth with a friend this week got me thinking about "normal" days again. Since Wesley's birth, there have been long hours of cuddling and also of a quiet house. Every time there is a new baby, my husband becomes like the pied piper at the end of the fairytale who leads all of the children out of the town with his whistle, only he leads them out the door and to the barn or bush and here i sit alone. One morning he took Darren and Carrie hunting for deer in tree stands in the freezing morning air... for 3 hours straight! ( No deer) At the moment, i have 2 sleeping little ones tucked into their beds at home and he has 4 active ones all watching the horses' feet being done at Papa's barn. At first it's bliss and babe and I sleep in oblivious tandem healing...and then it gets lonely. I ache for the attention of my husband and to be surrounded by my children. I love the action and interaction of this 'big family'. It's peaceful chaos to me. A little while after Wesley was born, i bent over to pick laundry off of the bathroom floor. Sadie looked at me with amazement. "MOM! you can bend over!!" To her it was like a miraculous healing had taken place. Some days it just feels like "Normal" is trying to squeeze his ol' head in through the door again and I'm ready.--j

2 comments:

mamazee said...

And yet normal is never what i used to be - it's always the "new normal" isn't it? I loved how my children were so astonished when i could pick things up off the floor again, too, this last time!
And i feel lonely too when T gives me time alone - sometimes i need it to pray, but even if i'm really tired, it's hard to sleep not knowing where all my precious ones are:) even though i know they are safe with Daddy...

Anonymous said...

I too relate to the longing of knowing where my babies are...even today my son was on a feild trip to a ranch with horse sleigh rides and caroling and hotchoc...so fun! But in my heart...I was longing for him to come home to be safe in the warmth our home, and my arms.