Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My "marryin' self"

While i was getting ready this morning i had a little helper following me around. Sadie (2) loves to stay fairly close if there is any chance that make up may be applied. "Can I have some?" This morning as i grabbed a shirt out of the closet she spied our framed wedding picture propped up against the closets' back wall. Unfortunately I haven't hung it yet after 1 1/2 years of living in this house. She gasped. "MOM! Is that your marryin' self?!" We had just been to a wedding this past weekend so the whole "marryin" thing must have been fresh in her mind. "Yes, that's my marryin' self." "Mom!! I didn't know you were going to marry DAD!...I thought you were going to marry meee." She faked a sad face as i picked her up and kissed her funny face. "Well, I want to marry you too Sadie... will you marry me?" Her face lit up. "Yes, I will marry you mom!" I love it. She understands only that marriage is a declaration of love and she wanted that from me. An "I love you Sadie." (and i do...how could i not!) She is the same kid that declares everytime we hold hands; "Holding hands means 'you are my best friend and I love you.'" So important to be loved and to hear it and know it isn't it?

4 comments:

Lori-Dawn said...

Awwwww...tears pouring down my face...that is so beautiful!

jessica jespersen said...

Tonight at dinner she insisted on praying for the meal: "Dear God, Help Dad to kiss me and mom to marry me and everyone to be my best friend... and help... NO...thank you for the food. AMEN! :) You can guess the suppression of giggles and the outpouring of affirmation that followed. haa! such a honey.

mamazee said...

Remember getting ready for your wedding, and little Wyatt was so astonished by the transformation of his "pretty mama"...
You're so right about the littles (and the biggies) needing affirmation all the time... what a privilege to get to be the one who gives it so often.
I watched that intervention show on TV last night and the mom was completely unable to even think about anyone else, and you could see it tearing her children apart, especially one teenage boy. He said "i love you mama" and she slurred "i love you too baby girl" and you could see the shame and disappointment and anger and pain in his face.
What a blessing to be a mom who can give to her littles.

Anonymous said...

and so humbling when you lose your temper and your baby says..."I wuv you momma"...how my heart breaks and immediately softens and is sorry and can only respond in pouring out "I love you too sweetheart, and mommy is so sorry"