Sunday, December 21, 2008

Best Friends Forever

We have a tradition between my sisters kids and mine. Ever since my niece Cairo was a tiny baby, my sister Paige would hold out her finger to her and they would touch peter pointers and announce "Best Friends Forever!" As the years have progressed, this tradition has spread to all 19 of the cousins. The little ones especially love repeating it over and over, reminding themselves and everyone around them that they are part of the group of "Best Friends Forever". Today, after taking each child individually to their rooms, cuddling them on their beds and talking to them about the "parting" of their grandparents in language that each age level could understand, we gathered as a family for prayer. Robin, my tender little one, curled up in her most comfortable blankie, eyes still red, my older ones impatient with my 3 year old's interruptions. I hadn't explained it to her, so quickly, in simple, language explained it this way. "Grannie and Grampsie have been having a fight and no one will say "sorry" and no one will say "I forgive you." She nodded her head slowly and stared at me with such a serious face. As Curt began to pray for my parents who we love so much, Sadie burst out with "The Bible says "Be Best Friends Forever!!". I looked up at her and she had a huge, beaming face and her 3 year old finger was raised up to me. I shifted baby Wesley in my arms, pointed my finger at her and repeated "Best Friends Forever Sadie"... As i type this now, the image of Michelangelo's Sistine Ceiling comes to me... God's finger coming down to touch the finger of Adam... bringing life and promise and relationship. May the "finger of God" come down and bring us a miracle this Christmas, one of new life, promises kept, and relationship.

2 comments:

Shawna said...

As tears stream down my face in hurt for each and every one of you, I pray. I believe in miracles. And I pray the healing Balm of the great reconciler would do his mighty mighty work. I am so sorry. Much Much Prayer for your family.

mamazee said...

OH, Jessie! I am rejoicing with you for the answered prayer. Sadie knows better than most adults - maybe that's why Jesus put a little child in the midst of his disciples and said we had to become like them...