Monday, April 27, 2009

Date Night

We went riding tonight. My first time in...forever. Either I'm pregnant so Curt won't take me, or the kids are going with Curt. Finally tonight I got to go. Curt took me to the same place we rode horse on our first date 13 years ago. After all these years he still saddles my horse for me. He adjusts the stirrups for my short legs...high enough so a leprechaun could ride if he needed to. He went to take a picture of my momentous first ride of the season. *click* He looked at the picture... (smirk on his face) "Hmm! Your mouth is wide open." It's one of his "in" jokes. He likes to tease me that I talk too much. I reminded him that one of the reasons he liked me on our first date was that he didn't have to think of anything to say. My mouth ran like a squirrel in the park and he just sat on his horse and smiled. I finished my light-hearted lecture by saying. "You liked that I always had something to say." He smiled... "You still do!" (more teasing)
Curt showed me how he can get our little Arab "Sketch" to curl his neck all the way back to the saddle and spin on a dime and how he can get him to side-step. He showed me how to get the new Tennessee Walking horse we borrowed from his dad to keep it's gait. It was almost like learning to shift gears on a standard vehicle. I miss my Arab Chenille who died this winter. It's going to be strange to break in a new horse. It was good to get out today though and just be the two of us even if it was only for an hour and a half. A little flashback to our first date and a reminder of the things we love to do together.




3 comments:

carol said...

Nice you were able to spend some fun time together.

paige said...

awwwwwww - so cute.
my mouth is always flappin' too...

Tammy said...

sounds like a perfect date!