Saturday, July 31, 2010

Just for the record

This pregnancy has been different in so many ways. The baby was so "quiet" until this last month where she seems to want to stretch and roll constantly. No major Braxton Hicks. No minor or major catastrophies. Healthier cravings: watermelon, grapefruit, garden carrots and peas. Then this past week hit me. I got sick and just laid on the bed, couch, cot for 5 days straight. Finally starting to come around and have been reminded again how thankful i am for a husband who replaced the broken dishwasher and kids who help out when i am down. I went for my prenatal visit yesterday and my doctor had photocopied my birth records for me. My sister in law had asked the other day how much i gained with each preg and how much the babies all weighed at birth. I thought it might be fun to get the medical records. I was looking through them last night and was surprised to see that included with the "prenatal record" was a "discharge summary" dictated by whatever intern attended each birth at the hospital. While reading Sadie's i was struck funny with the wording of some of the "intrapartum events". "...With a great deal of encouragement she was able to push this rather large female infant weighing 9 pounds 5 ounces." The personal detail of "with a great deal of encouragement" coupled with the completely impersonal "rather large female infant" did me in. Poor little Sadie, like Wes was a 9 lb er with shoulder dystocia. Then i checked my weight gain and realized that i weigh MORE than i did with either Wes or Sadie...I'm sure hoping that doesn't mean a 9 lb er. I think this is the only time in my life that i am hoping that any extra weight I've gained has gone straight to my thighs!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

This delivery has been on my heart steadily throughout your pregnancy. Praying faithfully that little girlie walks outta there!!

Lori-Dawn said...

hee hee...love the weight comment about it going to your thighs!! lol
but I gotta say, my 8lber was supposedly 'stuck' with mild shoulder distocia yet my almost 10 lber was born very easily in the hands and knees position...just putting that out there...flat on your back or even semi-sitting like they prefer in the hospital is sooo not a good position for opening the pelvis...sigh...although I'm sure Steph has already shared such things with you...hee hee...thinking of you lots as you grow this sweet babe.

Lesley said...

I imagine that there is a certain amount of trepidation with every birth...even if you have done it 6 times before! Just remember, you are an amazing woman and you can do it:-) Will be praying for a birth that is uncomplicated and as easy as is possible!!! (I have a friend who describes giving birth with, "well, I just kind of coughed and he came right out!") Lx

jessica jespersen said...

Thanks Andrea. I hope so too!
Lori, good to be reminded of the variations in each birth. i sure *hope* it's a little less gymnastics this time. I think we used up every contortionist position there is in the book for Wes. At one most embarassing moment and position a new nurse walked in, took one look at me and commented "OP baby eh?" (occipital posterior) My goodness, what a goofy thing. So glad he finally decided to make his entrance. Leslie... hmmm a cough eh? I'm going to imagine it that way and hope for the best. would be LOVELY!! :) -j