Thursday, January 14, 2010
The Great Outdoors
Maybe I haven't been outside for awhile. Yesterday, when I took Wesley outside for a romp in the snow the other kids spied me and started running at me and cheering. "MOM IS OUTSIIIIIDE!" They said it like it was some kind of impossible miracle and my mother-heart twinged with guilt (as it is prone to do). I used to *live* outside with the kids building forts, catching frogs, making bows and arrows. I would even take them skidooing. Over the years it seems like I've become a bigger and bigger wimp....and (shudder) indoorsy. In that moment of cheering and guilt, i decided that I was going tobogganing with them. "Let's go sledding guys!" They cheered....and I wondered if i would regret my bravado. I was wearing Darren's camouflage overalls and his extra pair of boots which were clunky and too big for me but I started inching my way down the icy hill to get the toboggan, Wesley balanced on my bulky hip. "Having fun" requires a lot more work than it used to. "Mom, we don't toboggan on this little hill. You gotta walk to the BIG hill with us. Dad scraped it out with the bobcat!" "Oh, okay." It was getting hot and i laid Wes on a sled and pulled him behind me. After a short walk to the back field filled with snow and horse manure, we found ourselves at the top of a HUGE hill. Curt had scraped away a sliding hill that was wide with ridges on either side and wild bumps to start it off. I got nervous. "It's okay mom. I'll give you a push to start you off." says Darren. I should have known better than to agree to a 12 year old boy "starting me off". Especially considering that I am pregnant and holding a one yr old on my lap. Darren obviously didn't think of those things. Wes and I got on. The sled threatened to slide out from beneath me and Darren firmly placed his hands on my back and RAN as fast as he could, pushing. I begged him to quit. "That's good enough DARREN!" He gave one last mighty heave and Wesley and I were racing and spinning on a blue plastic disk down the hill. I screamed. So did Wes. The kids cheered. It seemed like an absolute moment of insanity. Twirling Alberta skies and snow and mother and child hurtling through the wind. The ride went on for about a 1/4 mile before my dragging boots finally brought us to a stop. It was in that moment i decided "I've got to do this more often." My second run was solo and i went completely off course careening onto my back and soliciting howling encouragement from the kids. Sadie's contagious laugh is too good to miss. I've decided to get out more... even in this Alberta winter, even with little ones that need a 10 minute bundle job each. There is something like good medicine that can only be found in spending time in the great outdoors and I need me a little more of that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
ha, i just got home from a nice walk with my 13 year old. i thought my body was going to fall apart. maybe i'll get the littles to take me sledding instead. i figure, it's easier to get out during this beautiful chinook we're having with baby still tucked inside than it will be in a couple of weeks when the chinook ends & teeny one needs bundling on the outside.
you're coming skiing next year
i totally getcha about becoming more indoorsy. happens to me every winter. And i get all grumpy like "why do we live where obviously human life was not meant to live?" - and then the sun comes out and melts stuff and we're out hiking again... we went for a little hike last weekend, but it was a shortie and Uly wouldn't pee in the great outdoors so we had to go home... Winter isn't my favourite. but you rock for sledding - i always have a baby inside my amautik and haven't figured if i can do it that way... but now's the time to do it - i'm not pg and baby is almost 2! She can sled with me or a big brother or sister!
Andrea, If you promise not to laugh i would love to get up on skiis again. Kelowna skiing at Big White seems like a lifetime ago....but i can still taste the gravy and fries with hot chocolate in the chalet after the ski...What is it with me and food lately? Brother! --j
Yes, I've thought the "human life should not be existing here" thing...I remember walking with Grandma Goose to Uncle Hecks place one visit to bring him food and it was -40. We went outside and i took one breath of air and it burned all the way up to my brains. I will never forget that one block walk.-j
I will admit I've always been indoorsy...but I have SOOO much fun going on hikes and chipping away the ice on our sidewalk...I need a purpose to be outside it seems...sigh...but I DO enjoy it...just seems like too much effort. lol
Maybe just go on the little hill while you are preggers Jessie! Cheeesh.....
Post a Comment