Friday, October 22, 2010

provision

I was reading my sister's blog the other day and the following quote from the story of Jonah was included with her entry.

"But the Lord provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights."

I suppose being swallowed by a huge fish (and living) is an improvement on drowning...but still. It probably wouldn't have been too pleasant either. When i read it, my heart snagged on the word "provided".
It wasn't that the Lord "allowed" a great fish to swallow Jonah. The Lord "provided" a great fish to swallow Jonah.
Instead of launching into a lengthy diatribe on the whole story, I'm going to leave it at a thought that has been sticking with me this week.
Sometimes God's provision looks weird.
Sometimes it's uncomfortable, frightening or even painful.
Sometimes we forget what the alternative to his provision might have been.
Sometimes we need to thankful for the weird and the uncomfortable because they may just be the things that give us the perspective we need for the road ahead.

2 comments:

crys said...

AMEN! For me, it is the story of Joseph and his explanation of how men meant things to be evil, but God used those things for good. Our circumstances might not be what they seem to be, but instead, we can know that they will be what God means for them to be.

I wondered why God wanted so badly to build my faith by testing it so harshly, and then, very recently, I realized that faith is simply and wonderfully a gift from Him, that He so wanted me to have and treasure.

I love you and your tender and open heart.

mamalena said...

So true Jessie...Might not be exacctly what you prayed for...but it is apparently...the answer...