Wednesday, September 22, 2010

gratitude not guilt

One day, years ago we attended a pool party for the church. Someone in the church had rented out the entire facility so that it was free for all of us. When one of our friends found out that none of us had to pay, he announced "Wow! I feel blessed!" He was sincere but it struck me funny at the time and his statement became a little bit of a family joke. When someone would do something nice for another person in our family we would laugh and say "Wow! I feel blessed!!" I'm understanding why it struck me so funny that day and i think part of it was my own immaturity. Accepting help, or kindness has never been a forte for me. The spectre of *Guilt* following me around has always been too much of a risk. Maybe part of it is fear of criticism for taking the help or maybe it's pride on my part (that i can *do* what needs to get done on my own without help)? These past few weeks have been humbling though and i found myself saying "yes" when people offered to bring meals or babysit, or clean. My oldest daughter has been coming into my room every morning for almost 4 weeks straight now asking if she can take the baby and give me an extra hour of sleep. I'm learning to say "thanks" and "I feel blessed." And it's not that funny anymore.
It's profound.
So many people have said that they've been praying for Sadie and for us. I am at peace when i think of her situation... and find joy in thinking of the year ahead of us as a family. So thankful...so blessed.

3 comments:

mamazee said...

Jess - it was a profound thing for me to hear that story however long ago it was - and to start to say "I feel blessed" felt so wrong, contrary to what i wanted - and yet, i think it was a good thing to learn.

jessica jespersen said...

yes. Funny how a genuine and beautiful heart response can sound so foreign. Hard to just stand and "be blessed" isn't it! -j

Lori-Dawn said...

SOOO much truth to this post! thanks for sharing it...encouraging others to shake off that false feeling of guilt that is planted by the enemy and see Yahweh's blessings for what it is!!