Friday, April 30, 2010

Flat Stanley visits the Jespersens

We were sent 4 "Flat Stanley's" this year. Three from Indonesia and one from a public school in Edmonton. There is a story (I've never read it though.) about a boy who gets squished and can send himself through the mail all over the world. A lot of public schools make flat paper "Stanleys" and send them all over the world and get messages back about what their little Stanley did while he was gone. This last project was by far our best Flat Stanley visit. We are sending him home with his journal today but i couldn't bear to part with it without taking pictures. He didn't go far from home but hopefully his journal will be interesting enough. :)


Sample of horse hair from a fiddle bow.


Grain sample and goat hair sample.



Horse hair and hoof trimming samples.




Cat paw prints.





Piglet paw prints and piglet snout print.






Oyster shells and turkey feathers.







Beaver fur (from a beaver Darren shot...but we didn't include that information) and a sample of the bark he chewed off. Plus pussy-willows from Sadie.








Quotes from the kids.




















Everyone finished off the book with "flat" hand prints for the school kids to compare their hands to. Here is Sadie's.











5 comments:

Denise said...

Alisdair loved this... (he was watching over my shoulder as I was reading this post). I must say the hoof clippings reminded me of the time Dad grew a beard (while I was living overseas)... and when he shaved it off, they mailed me some whiskers in a baggie!!! Our school does Flat Stanley things too (but Alisdair has never been in a class that did this project). Your information is very informative about life on a Canadian farm... good job!

Lesley said...

I LOVED the idea of sliding under the door of the candy factory and eating until fat again. I want to do that too!

mamalena said...

Who sent you the flat stanley? You certainly gave him a fun holiday.

Andrea said...

Liv is still glowing, Jess. Thank you so much. We've read about Stanley's Jespersen adventures for the past 2 bedtimes. The kids all giggle every time we read about Sadie's plans for her sisters ;) Adelyn's favorite page is the pig snout print. She thinks it's the cutest thing ever! We honestly just expected a letter from Stanley. You guys out did yourselves! I'll make sure Liv's teacher sends Stan's travel journal home with her. We aren't parting with that one!!

mamazee said...

GREAT job, Jessie! Loved seeing the pictures :)