Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sitting it out.

Since my last post I've had tonnes of things to write about but no time to sit and write. It's been one of those months where I feel like I'm on the end of a line of kids playing "crack the whip". I remember playing that game in elementary school at the outdoor ice rink during recess and at the all-popular "roller rinks" of the '80's. In the case of the roller-rink, the music would be pounding, the disco ball dutifully twirling, creating a dizzying array of lights. The huge line of kids holding hands would get longer and longer. As we would near the turn, there was always a moment of sheer terror. The speed with which we were all blistering past the spectators and the generous sweat slithering between prepubescent hands always proved to be a bad combination. Especially for those situated on the end of the "whip". Out of control, I would scream and feel my grip tightening...to no avail. The next thing I knew, I was not part of the "party" anymore. Instead, I was the only roller skater hurtling off into the twirling oblivion of the roller-rink. That's the image that has defined the last month for me. Thrilling, fast paced, surrounded by friends but it ends badly. Here i sit, a lump of throbbing headache and stomach upset. I slept my morning away. Was woken up by a good friend calling in her last weeks of pregnancy worried about pain. (Being her only friend who has birthed 6 babies, i am her honorary "Dr. on Call") Then woken again by my father in law excitedly yelling through the empty house because he found that one of our hens hatched out a record batch of 16 chicks today. Then again by Curt. He took one look at me. "You don't LOOK sick." I still don't know whether to be flattered by that comment or offended. "When have i ever taken to my bed all day?" He smiled. "Maybe you just want a day off?" He took the kids to pick up hay, then to sell a billy goat, now for a rowdy run through the local wildlife park. Usually, i ache to be a part of the action, but today, I'm going to be content to sit this one out.

4 comments:

mamalena said...

Poor little you Jessie. I'm glad you had a day off anyhow....even if you don't LOOK sick. Just tell Curt you can't help it if you look great...it's the gene pool...haha.

Jen said...

Hope you get better!!! Don't feel guilty about sleeping the day away!...maybe you should make yourself look 'more' sick then you could get more sympathy ;)

Andrea said...

'Gloria, Gloria, I think they've got your number, Gloria!"
That's all I could think of while reading your post. It's the quintessential roller skating song for me. Sheesh.

jessica jespersen said...

Ever since i posted this i've been struck with a deep desire to take all the kids roller skating. I saw an ad today. Didn't know there were any rinks open around here anymore! -j